Here's a photograph of the melting clock body and during its sanding process. *This blog post has been back-dated for continuity purposes. Sculpture's side drips were originally sculpted on 30th August 2016.
We bought balloons to put inside the LEP party bags. However, these balloons became something entirely different (with massive thanks to Jess for the idea and the help!). Instead of the traditional birthday/party messages, we spray painted the LEP logo on one side of the balloon and wrote different political messages on the other. These messages were: 1. Pop the Patriarchy 2. Creatively Confront Capitalism 3. Burst the Banks 4. Relinquish Racism 5. Hit Homophobia 6. HATE HATE. LOVE LOVE. However, the spray paint reacted with the balloon material and caused it to turn brittle. As when we tried blowing the first balloon up to see what it looked like after the logo had dried, it popped! All was
In order to house the DC or K'NEX motor, I needed a body large enough to hold and cover it. As the clock needed to give the illusion it's melting, I couldn't construct the back without making that also look as though it's melting. Therefore, I designed it to follow the structure of the melting clock face. Making the clock face/front appear as though it's heavy/stretching more towards the ground, enabled me to construct the clock body in a way that could make it: (1) more discreet, I didn't want the bulkiness of the back to disfeature the melting clock face; and (2) create the effect that it's also melting towards the same point as the melting clock face. *This blog post has been back-dated f
This was the first time I carved drips that needed to look as though they were dripping down an angled slope towards a point. The image had in my mind that I wanted the wooden drips to take inspiration from was a long rectangle bar (metal rail) that was either covered in ice or getting soaked in rain, but it was the underneath that I was imagining - how each drip would form, run down to the underneath of the bar and drip towards the floor. I was really happy with the carvings. I think it may have been because I was very stressed by the approaching deadline, but they definitely brightened my mood. *This blog post has been back-dated for continuity purposes. Sculpture's bottom drips were origi
With the clock face, I wanted the numbers to appear as though they were melting themselves. In order to do that and make it look almost realistic, as though they were in the process of melting, not dried drips etc. I needed the droplets to look 3D/have body to them. Through past experiences/experimentations, I am aware that: water based paint would produce flat matt drips once dried and bleed into the cartridge paper; oil paint would take too long to dry and bleed into the cartridge paper, but would be able to give me glossy drips; acrylic paint would be more suitable as it is plastic based, which means that it would not bleed too much into the cartridge paper and produce glossy effects howe
First, Conor and I bought some Mylar 350 micron A4 sheets. Then we cut out the LEP logo and began a spray painting session. Here are a section of photos throughout the process. We found that the Mylar was difficult to cut, which lead to mistakes in the template (see the patch ups in picture three). These patch ups did not work, so we ended up taking the logo out of the surrounding A4 template and using that on its own. Thankfully it worked out better doing it this way, because the spray paint was then able to fall around the logo and not around an A4 rectangle. *This blog post has been back-dated for continuity purposes. Template and graffiti canvas bags were originally produced in August 20