The varnish gives the wood a gloss / reflective surface.
The wood stain makes the wood appear darker.
The middle produces a mixture of darker gloss.
- I prefer this effect to the wood stain
- the gloss effect could represent the reflective surface similar to that of an icicle/ice watery reflective surface.
- However, I want to keep it pure and true to its material
- Indeed the staircase is meant to resemble a traditional staircase
- But the idea that the staircase is already half melted suggests that a lot of its original surface has melted away revealing the pure untouched bare naked raw wood - Therefore I am going to leave the staircase unpainted.
*This blog post has been back-dated for continuity purposes. Photographs and text were originally done in April 2012.